[NBLUG/talk] How to set FROM field in script-generated email?

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Mon Nov 5 14:10:19 PST 2007

Hey:

I use a couple of scripts to send out some emails, using mutt in the
shell script.  I'd never noticed that the FROM field was blank in these
emails.

One recipient has a mail.com address, and that email would not go
through.  I added 'export EMAIL=myaddress at work' to my .bash_profile and
tried sending an email (from a script) to my sonic address.  It was
blocked -  "(reason: 554 5.7.1 localhost.localdomain isn't valid for
HELO/EHLO, please fix your server.)".  Sonic won't accept my email,
either, since I don't have a real domain name for my box.

Is there some way around this?  I'd rather just keep running this script
from my own machine, but could push it out to a mail server that we
keep.  Thanks in advance!

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley