[NBLUG/talk] firefox / gmail problems.

Scrappy Laptop scrappylaptop at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 10 15:21:12 PST 2007

I've been having a similar problem with FF and Gmail but instead of hanging, it was crashing out completely whenever I hit a page that had certain Flash elements (which includes Gmail), leaving me back at the desktop.  Finally found this post that fixed it:
http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2006/10/ubuntu-firefox-flash-crash-this-fix.html

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
to /usr/bin/firefox.

Although the symptoms are not identical, it may be a direction to research (does no harm to try it, either).

-Frank

E Frank Ball III <frankb at frankb.us> wrote: Since I updated to firefox 2.0.0.9 - gmail is pretty much unusable.
Firefox completely hangs everytime I try to read some emails.  I may get
thru one or two, but then it hangs.

This is happening on three systems.  One with RedHat Enterprise 4, one
with Debian testing, and one with Debian stable.  All with firefox
installed from mozilla.org - not a packaged version from Debian or
redhat.  All three are independent systems, no shared files.

Anybody else having trouble?  Other web sites are working fine, it's
just gmail that causes the problem.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us

http://mail.yahoo.com