[NBLUG/talk] Installing a new font on Ubuntu

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Mon Nov 19 06:46:39 PST 2007

matt wrote:
> On Sunday 18 November 2007 22:07:19 Steve Bursch wrote:
>
>> I use OpenOffice.org on both my Windows XP machine, and on my Ubuntu
>> machine.  Both versions of OpenOffice are at the same release level: 2.3.
>> I've discovered that the OpenOffice.org on my Windows machine has many more
>> fonts available to it than does OpenOffice on my Ubuntu machine.  For
>> example, Times New Roman is available on my Windows machine, but is not
>> available on my Ubuntu machine.  Consequently, OpenOffice documents created
>> on my Windows machine do not format correctly when transferred to the
>> Ubuntu machine, if they were created using a font unavailable on the Ubuntu
>> machine.
>>
>> What is the procedure for adding fonts to Ubuntu, and how do I make them
>> available to OpenOffice and other applications on the Ubuntu machine?  The
>> OpenOffice Help screens suggest that I use a program called, spadmin.  On
>> my system, when I tried to invoke the spadmin program, the system was
>> unable to find it.  I know I must be doing something wrong, and I could use
>> some guidance on how to correct the problem.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance....Steve
>>

> Are you by any chance running KDE? If so, you can just go to "fonts:/" in
> Konqueror and drag them into there.

In Gnome, using nautilus, you type 'fonts:///' in the address bar.  I
also did a quick google
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=iJS&q=ubuntu+install+fonts+openoffice&btnG=Search>
and found that if you'd like to just install the core microsoft fonts,
you can with apt-get:

    'sudo apt-get install |msttcorefonts'|

Apparently you need to have the 'Universe' repository set.  Here's the
link to that particular article: LINK
<http://ubuntu.wordpress.com/2005/09/09/installing-microsoft-fonts/>

I remember that with older versions of OpenOffice, you sometimes had to
tell it where to find fonts - I hope that's no longer the case.  It
really ought to just show you all the fonts available to the system
generally.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley