[NBLUG/talk] OLPC XO giving program - potential sponsorship?

A.C. ac at sonic.net
Tue Nov 20 17:03:56 PST 2007

Jim, you completely beat me to this on the talk list. :)

On November 12th I approached the NBLUG board to see if NBLUG as an
organization would like to collectively sponsor a laptop through the
Give One Get One program with the laptop remaining the property of
NBLUG. The board dutifully considered the issue and decided not to take
on the laptop itself (which is completely reasonable as NBLUG rarely
asks for donations and does not manage very many physical resources).
However, the board was willing to allow me to solicit the group, so here
goes:

I would like to petition the members of NBLUG for donations towards an
XO laptop through the http://www.laptopgiving.org program. I would
probably have the XO laptop shipped to me, but the laptop would be
freely and frequently loaned to NBLUG and any other user groups in the
area for use in presentations to spread the word about the project. I
would also give a talk at NBLUG about the laptop sometime early next
year schedule permitting.

I can contribute $100 and a coworker is also making $50 donation towards
the goal of a laptop sponsorship, but I need help reaching the full
amount. If you are interested in helping out but don't have the full
$430 needed, this would be a great way to contribute. I'm only
attempting to raise funds for a single laptop, so any donations above
$430 will be sent directly to the OLPC foundation.

This request isn't about me, so if you would rather take ownership of
the laptop yourself and you are willing to make a contribution I'd love
to hear about it. As Jim noted, the first $200 and anything over $430 is
good as a tax deductible donation - let me know if this is something you
are interested in getting. Likewise, if someone is interested in the
T-Mobile access just ask and make a contribution and it's yours (highest
contributor gets it if multiple people request it - it'd be open
arbitration :).

Thanks for reading through this request. If this is something you are
interested in contributing any amount to, please reply or call my cell
at 303-263-9271 before the cutoff date of November 29th. Thanks for your
consideration, and have a Happy Thanksgiving!

A.C.
******