[NBLUG/talk] PCMCIA IDE devices vs. libATA

Scrappy Laptop scrappylaptop at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 12:27:04 PST 2007

Is anyone else having trouble with Ubuntu 7.10
 recognizing PCMCIA IDE devices, specifically
Type II hard disk drives?

I am trying to prep one for use on a Ampro
 sbc using my laptop.

Four different models of 16-bit pcmcia hdd,
ranging from 340MB to 2GB, and all result in a
"cannot set transfer mode" error and timeout,
culminating in device deactivation.

Earlier distros are okay, some other current
 distros show no problem (I tried Breezy and DSL
mini disto live CD's, admittedly a small sample)
 and there are patches in the kernel and/or
libATA bug lists going back a year for CF ide
devices (compact flash cards), yet the problem
still seems to exist, at least for IDE hdd's.
 I'm researching libATA for more info and would
 appreciate any observations or workarounds.

 -Frank