[NBLUG/talk] vmware vs xensource?

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 09:34:00 PDT 2007

I just discovered the xensource product, and was wondering if anyone
here has had the opportunity to try both vmware and xensource (the
free or paid versions). Which one do you like and why?

According to my reading xensource wouldn't work too well on older
machines if you needed Windows guests, as it requires the CPU to have
VT technology to run windows. Another potential downside is that there
is no live server migration such as what vmware provides.

Having said that, the interface looks much better than vmware, and the
performance is supposedly better for Windows and far better for linux.
The seem to be much cheaper for the paid versions and offer comparable
support.

I'd love to hear your opinions. Does the fact that Citrix will own
them by the end of this year cause any problems?

Thanks!

Sean