[NBLUG/talk] New to Linux

Milton Rojas rojas at astound.net
Fri Oct 26 15:06:36 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm new at Linux and Unix for that matter, and come from the MS Windows
world hoping to find a more stable platform, and save money by using free
software. I'm not a technical person, but I'm not totally computer
illiterate. I've managed to download and install Fedora 7 on an Intel based
PC, which is about two years old, and am in the process of setting up a
Hawking (HWP54G) wireless PCI card and an HP5P printer connected to a
parallel port. Both of these components worked fine under Windows XP. I
reformatted the hard drive when Fedora was installed.

I'm having problems installing the wireless card driver because there is not
one listed in the list of adapters. Is there a generic wireless card driver
anyone knows about?

Additionally, in trying to install the HP5P printer, after going through all
the Add Printer wizard motions, when I get to the point of testing the
printer, and after creating one, and the only, user ID, I get the following
error message: "Authentication failed". I click on Retry, enter the valid
password, but continue to get the failure message. Any clues?

Sincerely,

Milton