[NBLUG/talk] New to Linux

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 16:09:50 PDT 2007

On 10/26/07, Milton Rojas <rojas at astound.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new at Linux and Unix for that matter, and come from the MS Windows
> world hoping to find a more stable platform, and save money by using free
> software. I'm not a technical person, but I'm not totally computer
> illiterate. I've managed to download and install Fedora 7 on an Intel based
> PC, which is about two years old, and am in the process of setting up a
> Hawking (HWP54G) wireless PCI card and an HP5P printer connected to a
> parallel port. Both of these components worked fine under Windows XP. I
> reformatted the hard drive when Fedora was installed.
>
> I'm having problems installing the wireless card driver because there is not
> one listed in the list of adapters. Is there a generic wireless card driver
> anyone knows about?
>
> Additionally, in trying to install the HP5P printer, after going through all
> the Add Printer wizard motions, when I get to the point of testing the
> printer, and after creating one, and the only, user ID, I get the following
> error message: "Authentication failed". I click on Retry, enter the valid
> password, but continue to get the failure message. Any clues?

Can you tell us some more about how you were using your printer?  How
is the printer connected?  Is it plugged directly into the computer or
is it network connected?  When the printer was used with Windows, did
it have a userid and password?  Is the printer wizard you mentioned
the System/Administration/Printing window called Printer Configuration
and is your test using the Print Test Page button?  Thanks.

--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.