[NBLUG/talk] New to Linux

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Sat Oct 27 17:01:31 PDT 2007

On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 03:06:36PM -0700, Milton Rojas wrote:
> I've managed to download and install Fedora 7 on an Intel based
> PC, which is about two years old,

Congrats! :)

> and am in the process of setting up a Hawking (HWP54G) wireless PCI card

If it is an Atheros chipset, you'll want to install the "madwifi" package
from the Livna repository -- otherwise you might need to poke around for a
solution, including using "ndiswrapper" as mentioned earlier.

You'll probably want to enable Livna anyway, as it has various things that
Red Hat doesn't want to give away because of licensing issues (such as mp3
codecs, libcss, and so forth...).  In fact, Fedora would be pretty crippled
for ordinary users, if it wasn't for Livna.  From the web site:

''rpm.livna.org provides many useful packages that can not be distributed in
Fedora (previously known as Fedora Core and Extras) for one reason or
another, including multimedia applications such as xine and VideoLanClient,
and video drivers for ATI and Nvidia cards''

   http://www.livna.org/

Share and enjoy! :)

 -Scott