[NBLUG/talk] VIM Question

matt matt at cfxnetworks.com
Wed Sep 19 11:45:02 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 19 September 2007 11:32:19 Steve Johnson wrote:
> I use vim, and it seems that ubuntu feisty defaults to old school vi
> behavior, how can I force vi to always act like vim?  I tried "alias
> vi=vim" and it did not do the trick.  Is there a global settings file
> where I can set this?
>
> funny, on the 6.x versions of ubuntu, I could have sworn the vi
> defaulted to vim behavior, I wonder why they changed it.
>
> -Steve

Yeah, I hate that. Which is why I made /usr/bin/vi a symbolic link
to /usr/bin/vim, and violà.

PS: If you notice, though, /usr/bin/vi* is a whole mess of symbolic links
going to /etc/alternatives, and back to /usr/bin... I'm not sure what's going
on. FYI, the actual binary is /usr/bin/vim.basic, so any form of linkage to
that should work.

--
Salud,
Matt
matt at cfxnetworks.com

Your Fortune:
Living in LA is like not having a date on Saturday night.
		-- Candice Bergen