[NBLUG/talk] file backup and encryption question

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 13:43:53 PDT 2008

I'm looking for a way in Linux to send files to another computer for
backup, probably using scp. What I'd like to know is if there's a way
to encrypt the files (say using openPGP or some other software) on the
fly instead of making a copy of all files, encrypting them, and then
uploading the files. Preferably these files would be individually
encrypted, and not in a large tarball or some other simple compression
method. If a file being backed up is currently in use, that will not
interrupt the entire process, right?

Does anyone know how to do this, and can you give me some documents or
books I can read?

Thank you!