[NBLUG/talk] file backup and encryption question

Nat Welch calvin166 at pseudoweb.net
Fri Apr 18 16:47:31 PDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 14:51 -0700, Sean wrote:
> A little more information I should have provided... if there's a
> ready-made OSS solution, I'd like to hear what you suggest. After some
> research I've found that Backup PC and Amanda might be options for me.
>
> My systems are scattered and not in one physical locale. I need to be
> able to backup either incremental or full backups as desired, and it
> would be nice to have a web GUI to work with on the client side.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I had something put together using standard scp and rsync plus cwRsync
> for my Windows systems, but I wanted to offer it to a few people as
> well to make some money off of my unused storage space. Unfortunately
> I couldn't see how to tie encryption into it on the client side before
> the data is uploaded.
>
> Thank you!

Well Do you want your backups encrypted or just the transfer of files
encrypted? Because if you just want the transfer encrypted, rsync over
ssh will take care of that. Now if you want the final files encrypted,
I'd suggest copying the files to a temp folder, gziping that, encrypting
that, and then copying it over.

since you are going windows to linux, things are a little more
complicated. I've tradiionally just used a batch file to zip up the
files and send it to an nfs server. Not the encryption you are looking
for I know, but just a way to do it.

/Nat