[NBLUG/talk] Printing PDF files - slow...

Ken McGlothlen mcglk at artlogix.net
Mon Apr 21 17:17:30 PDT 2008

Dave Sisley <dsisley at sonic.net> writes:

> | I've run into a problem at work where there's a need to print PDFs, and
> | I never noticed how slow that can be for certain files.  [...]

| In testing on my own machine, I'm just using cups.  I tried to export the
| file to a .ps file, but it didn't seem to speed up things:  kpdf created a
| 39mb postscript file from the 1.5mb .pdf.  This file is, as I said, graphics
| intensive.

Okay, that's a lot of PostScript to interpret, and if it's not terribly
efficient PostScript, then yes, the printer *can* bog down.  But the other
file---the one under 500K---is more of a puzzler.  And if the first one is
printing fine on a Mac, then I'd think again it might be your print spooler.

Hm.

Would you mind sending me the files so that I could have a look at them?

---Ken

-----
[Yes, I'm looking for work.  If you're looking for a Perl programmer or
Linux/Unix system administrator, drop me a line at mcglk at artlogix.net.  ---K]