[NBLUG/talk] disabling mail on account

Scott Doty scott at ponzo.net
Wed Apr 23 13:01:30 PDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:34:37PM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
> What about this, instead of an aliase to |/dev/null make the alias to
> invaliduser, then it should return a bounce message (assuming you
> don't really have a username 'invalid user' )
>
> Seems to me I've done this in the past too, with success.

BTW, one solution, I implemented for a buddy -- he wants to be RFC
compliant, and not just "ignore" postmaster email... thus,
postmaster at his-domain gets responded to with this message, using vacation:

 _ _ _ _ _ _ _
From: The Postmaster <postmaster at basementshow.net>
Subject: Pointer to postmaster at basementshow.net

Please contact the Basement Internet Show postmaster at the following
(munged) address:

   webmaster -at- basementshow.net

This message is an autoresponse, placed here in order to quell massive
amounts of spam.  We apologize for the inconvenience.

 -The Basement Show Management

...this requires a new username, vacation, and an alieas for
"webmaster at domain".

 -Scott