[NBLUG/talk] file backup and encryption question

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Apr 25 14:01:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 01:04:50PM -0700, Sean wrote:
> I've looked over the suggestions mentioned for remote backup software,
> and so far BoxBackup seems to be the only one that meets all of my
> criteria. I've installed and will soon test the current RC2 beta
> version .11, which is supposed to handle Windows clients alot better
> than version .10. I hope to begin testing the software next week.
>
> I'll let you know how it goes, and I plan on writing a blog entry of
> my experience.

Thanks, that would be appreciated.  I've been using scripts around
rdiff-backup which have provided reliable backup and restore for a few
years now, but the requirement for homogeneous python versions can be a
pain in the arse.

I particularly like the daemon-based approach and encryption options in the
boxbackup feature list.  The 'FTP-like client' restore of boxbackup could
be nice too.  (You have to be pretty geeky to restore from an rdiff-backup
archive...)

-t