[NBLUG/talk] Sound distortion while scrolling/moving windows in X

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Wed Jan 9 22:39:53 PST 2008

Here's a weird one.  If I scroll in a window while listening to music,
the sound becomes distorted until I stop scrolling.  It also happens if
I'm moving a window around on the screen.  The system monitor & top
shows the CPU jumps up when I'm fooling with the windows.  It's usually
X that's at the top of top, but if I'm scrolling in Firefox, both X and
FF use up the CPU.

I'm currently running Fedora 8, with Gnome on the desktop.  I tried
logging into X with xfce, but it happens there too.  I'm using xmms when
this happens.  I've tried fiddling with various xmms and sound card
settings, but nothing seems to help.

It's annoying.  Thanks for any ideas.

-dave.

--