[NBLUG/talk] VMware Linux guest recommendations

Jacob Appelbaum jake at nblug.org
Fri Jan 11 13:38:59 PST 2008

Cameron Tully-Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a Linux distribution that will run fast in VMware; I don't
> need everything installed, looking mostly for Java development ala Eclipse
> and PostgreSQL.

I use Ubuntu without any issue at all. At my office we use it for all of
our java/jboss stuff. Lots of our dev work is done with vmware guests
because of snapshotting (including memory state, etc). It's great stuff
if you have ESX running with a proper SAN back end, Kyle probably has
lots of advice for this.

-Jake