[NBLUG/talk] Can't connect to the Internet

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:10:40 PST 2008

I'll put in my two cents, but before acting on it you should wait for
others to respond. I have to admit that I haven't worked with VPN on
Linux as of yet.

My guess (partially confirmed by doing some research) is that the
/var/run/vpnc/resolv.conf-backup contains the "incorrect" resolv.conf
file you posted earlier. When vpnc is run, it replaces the resolv.conf
with the backup (vice-versa?) with the one in /var/run/vpnc, and uses
that when connected to the remote location. The new resolv.conf will
allow you to resolve IPs and names on the remote network. Once you
properly disocnnect from the remote location, vpnc should take the
"real" resolv.conf and put it back in place while placing the
temporary resolv.conf in the /var/run dir for future use.

My guess is that the vpn connection actually is made, but you can't do
anything without the correct resolv.conf settings, since you can't see
the "local" DNS servers (the 192.168.11.XX IPs).

On the other hand this doesn't make sense, as in your case that file
should still be there.