[NBLUG/talk] phpmyadmin help

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri Jul 4 12:47:44 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 05:53:03PM -0700, Sean wrote:
> I'm a bit confused with what I've gotten myself into.
>
> I know the root password for mysql, but I cannot use it to log into
> phpmyadmin. I attempt to log in and it just brings me back to the
> login screen without any errors.

Which auth method are you trying to use?  Cookie?
If so, you'd need something like this in config.inc.php

$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';
$cfg['blowfish_secret'] = 'somesekretthingie';

see also: http://wiki.cihar.com/pma/auth_types

> I am able to log into mysql from the command line using "mysql -r root
> -p password root-password", and this gives me a long list of variable
> settings.

The flag for user is '-u'  Verify your login creds with:

mysql -u root -p

Also, if especially if you've installed your own phpmyadmin package, you'll
need to keep abreast of security updates.  It's had a much better record
lately but there have been tons of XSS, along with several vulnerabilities
which could lead to elevated access, file disclosure, and other nasties.

http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/security.php

For that reason, I'm a big fan of the subversion install which makes
upgrades a snap.

-t