[NBLUG/talk] overriding networkmanager in ubuntu

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Wed Jul 16 07:58:14 PDT 2008

Bob Blick wrote:
> On my new Ubuntu install I was about to add "order hosts,bind" to the
> top of my /etc/resolv.conf file, but there's a note in there telling me
> it was "created by NetworkManager, do not edit" and no hint about what
> file I should edit to have my additions included.
>
> In the past I would just ignore it and edit it anyway, but I figured
> maybe times had changed and systems were smarter or better. So I then
> opened up the Knetworkmanager and looked at the settings. There's no
> place to check to make it check the hosts file, and if I add anything
> besides an ip address to nameservers, it won't let me (hey I had to
> try).
>
> I also can't find any documentation for networkmanager(other than one
> page of manpage fluff) or knetworkmanager(not even fluff).
>
> I realize I should just go ahead and manually edit the files, but it
> will break the system and surely the people who made networkmanager
> aren't complete fools, there must be a way to add "order hosts,bind"
> without breaking things.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

One idea might be to turn off NetworkManager.  I do that on the Fedora
boxes at work (for those with F8, or so on them - older installs don't
have NetworkManager).

I find it gets in the way - it would 'helpfully' decide to use DHCP, no
matter what I put in the net config file
(/etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 for the RedHat-ish distros).

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net