[NBLUG/talk] overriding networkmanager in ubuntu

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Wed Jul 16 10:33:21 PDT 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:17:24 -0700, "E Frank Ball III"
<frankb at frankb.us> said:

> I've never seen anything like "order hosts,bind" in /etc/resolv.conf.

Of course, now I remember. It's the /etc/host.conf file that is supposed
to have "order hosts,bind". And when I look in there, there is a note
that says "# The "order" line is only used by old versions of the C
library."

> Normally I'd change /etc/nsswitch.conf and put in "hosts: files dns"
> (which is probably the default).

It has "hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4". So I
still don't understand why my local machines I've listed in /etc/hosts
are not being found.

I'll keep digging.

Thanks,

Bob