[NBLUG/talk] EMF/EMR (was Re: Sebastopol Downtown WiFi

gandalf at sonic.net gandalf at sonic.net
Thu Mar 13 12:27:04 PDT 2008

 Ack. I hope I wasn't too frank here. I didn't mean to create a stir
ether and I did not think that any of the geeks here would be
offended by my views. I've just been watching the conflict happen
over on the wacco bbs/newslist for a couple months. One electrical
engineer posted a several page explanation of why this wi-fi was so
much less of an issue than almost anything else electrical (microwave
ovens, cell phones, tv/raido, etc...) but he was largely ignored. Also
there is a decidedly one sided bent over there where there are regular
petition drives but no drive for the opposition to be heard.
 I have for some time watched people get caught up in "the fight",
whatever that fight may be. It turns into a sort of crowd mentality
where even the flimsiest logic or none at all wins the day. Perhaps
my strongest observances of this were anti-war protesters who where
bussed into Santa Rosa. The group turned into a violent mob of
vandals. Now just to keep things straight, I'm against the war. I was
embarrassed by these peoples actions.
 On another occasion there were several statement on wacco by one of
the heads of PETA. I dared to question those statements and was
pretty much shunned. I found when I actually looked into the what was
being touted that the numbers were hugely inflated and most of what
was said was not true.
 I rather think that there is a rational that when one is knee deep
in "the fight" facts are merely things to be bent to your use no
mater what side your on. I also find that people in "the fight" tend
to have their eyes glaze over weirdly. They make the hair stand up on
the back of my neck.
 I hope that this doesn't upset anyone, that was not and is not my
intent. I just try to think clearly.
 On Thu 03/13/08 10:23 AM , Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
sent:
 The fault is partially mine for using inflammatory vocabulary to
begin
 with, although it did prompt quite a bit of fascinating information.
:)
 My intention was not to spark uncivil behavior.  I believe firmly in

 scientific process and proper experimentation.  All hypotheses need
 be both testable AND falsifiable.  That's just elementary science.
 believe that holding a civilized discussion is critical to
scientific
 progress.  We all know how uncivil behavior tends to derail
collective
 efforts. :)
 Thanks for your input, everyone.
 - Chris
 Bob Blick wrote:
 > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:44:25 -0700, "Scott Doty"  said:
 >
 >> I agree, and that is why I addressed the issue civilly...
 >>

 > I thought you had, yours was not the post that pushed me to write.
But
 > there's no way I'm going to participate any more in this thread.
 >
 > Best of luck to you all :)
 >
 > Cheerful regards,
 >
 > Bob

Links: