[NBLUG/talk] swiftweasel vs iceweasel

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri May 2 11:43:10 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 02:40:04PM -0700, William Tracy wrote:
> On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Troy Arnold <troy at zenux.net> wrote:
> >  You might see if flash works in a clean profile.
>
> You know, I'm on a 32-bit Ubuntu system (no budget for 64-bit
> processors--waah) and Flash takes down Firefox all the time (roughly
> every fifth Youtube video makes the browser lock up until I pkill it).

I'd been running an Athlon 64 3000+ for almost 4 years.  It was fine for
everyday work.  And they and many other good 64bit procs are dirt cheap
these days too...

> I have been just gritting my teeth and waiting for Gnash to catch up
> to what I need, but do you think that cleaning my profile might help
> things?

Ubuntu Hardy fixed the similar issues I was having with the flashplayer.

Regarding your profile: it's easy to try.  Just move your old profile under
~/.mozilla (does iceweasel use .mozilla?) out of the way and you'll get a
new one on startup.  If flash works then you know it's something with your
profile.  My gut feeling is that you'll probably see the same poor flash
behaviour...

-t