[NBLUG/talk] Printing PDF files - slow...

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Tue May 6 15:43:02 PDT 2008

Steve Johnson wrote:
> Dave,
>
> I'm just curios, is this a network attached printer or a shared printer?
>
> I had real slow printing of large files when I shared my printer which
> was connected to my linux box via the USB port.  Once I connected the
> printer to the network via its built in jet direct card (HP LJ2200Dn)
> it got real speedy.. It can still be slow on complex PDF files, but
> most of what I have printed so far have been real quick. (Mostly DMV
> forms and a couple applications from the JC)
>
> If this is a shared printer, and you don't have a network card for it,
> there are some nice devices out there that let you plug a USB printer
> into them, and then the device sits on the net and works as a print
> server.. I had one by TrendNet that I got off fleabay (ha!) for about
> $20, and it worked nicely on my old DeskJet 920C printer.
>
> -Steve
Steve -

Sorry for the slow response - I only found your posting just now.  The
printer is an HP 1320n (n is for network!), so it's not a shared
printer.  Indeed, it prints quickly with most jobs, even most pdf
files.  I'm just experiencing a slowdown with files from a particular
source.  The files come from a graphics designer and I think the files
are just super-beefy.

thanks.

-dave.

--