[NBLUG/talk] wierd dash character

David Lehman davidlehmanemtp at gmail.com
Fri May 23 06:35:13 PDT 2008

Sounds like an encoding problem, what doctype declaration are you using?
I've noticed this a lot more on sites lately, my best guess is the admins
are updating to iso-8859-1 instead of the old standard of utf-8.  The big
problem with that is what you are seeing, or not seeing, in your page.
(Same reason admins are slow to upgrade, because it will "break" many sites
that were fine before.)

Try opening the code with a normal word editor and looking for the
character, it's the easiest way to find it.

Good luck.

P.S.  This explains it in brief detail, but I've had the same problem on
occasion:

http://www.webheadstart.org/xhtml/encoding/