[NBLUG/talk] Request for Feedback: Two options for next month's topic

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Sat Nov 1 12:56:31 PDT 2008

Hi NBLUG,

So I'm speaking at this month's meeting on November 10th. I had two
different topics in mind but I found it hard to choose between the two so I
wanted to put them both out there to the group and see what you would be
more interested in attending.

Topic 1: Remaster Knoppix without Remastering

This is a talk I've given a few times (you can see the slides on
http://greenfly.org/talks/) but never at NBLUG. In the talk I discuss a
number of different techniques you can use to change the default behavior
of the Knoppix disc, change settings, and even add software without having
to go through the full Knoppix remastering process.

Topic 2: (Tentative title) Where'd my Files Go? A guide to the Modern
Ubuntu Distribution

While you might not be able to tell at a cursory glance, a lot has changed
behind the scenes on a modern Ubuntu system from what you might be used to
if you have used Linux for years. For example, did you know Ubuntu is
phasing out System V init? That you can't loopback-mount the initrd? In
this talk I would discuss the current changes Ubuntu is making to what
we might consider the traditional Linux system. There's a little
something for everyone on the talk: For Linux newbies who are curious
about what's under the hood I will cover the traditional and modern
boot process including how init works and follow up with a guide to where
important files are in Ubuntu. For the experienced Linux user I'll show you
how (and why) things have changed and where you can look now when you want
to, for instance, change the default runlevel on an Ubuntu system.

So what do you think? Topic 1 or Topic 2? I suppose if there is equal
interest in both I could give one talk this month and schedule the other
for a future meeting. If there isn't interest in either, well geez give me
a break. Just kidding if you actually aren't too interested in either let
me know what you would actually like to hear a talk on.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org

PS. Don't forget the election is this month too! I'm going to give an
update to the election thread in the next day or two but please get your
nominations in there.