[NBLUG/talk] Kubuntu resets screen resolution to 640x480 after restart

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 11:05:32 PST 2008

I stopped by this weekend, and seem to have fixed it.  I'm not sure
exactly what fixed it, but here's what I did:

1. Went to a text-only console (Ctrl-Alt-F1), got a root shell.
2. Ran "dpkg-reconfigure xorg".  Not sure if anything happened when I did.
3. Tried to restart kdm.  Nothing happened.
4. Ran "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg".  Got several prompts unrelated
to screen resolution; kept the defaults on all of them.
5. Rebooted.

And now it's working.  I'm guessing that one of those two
"dpkg-reconfigure" commands caused it to re-examine the video hardware
and fix the X configuration, but I'm not sure at all.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened that fixed it?

Oh, and yes, I *will* set up their computer before I leave so that I
can SSH in remotely should something like this happen again.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>