[NBLUG/talk] Install Help

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 16:07:08 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Jeff Hemminger
<jeff.hemminger at gmail.com> wrote:
> I take it to mean that the bootloader, LILO, cannot find the MBR. Is that
> correct? I've tried passing in root=hda and root=/dev/hda2, but neither of
> those options worked.

Try:
root=hda2

If LILO is installed correctly, then LILO *is* what's in the MBR. What
is happening is that LILO is trying to launch the kernel, but it
doesn't know what partition to mount as /

In some installations, / and /boot are two different partitions. In
that case, the bootloader needs to load the kernel from one place
(/boot) and mount  the root directory from someplace else (/).

--
William Tracy
afishionado at gmail.com -- wtracy at calpoly.edu
Vice President, Cal Poly Linux Users' Group
http://www.cplug.org