[NBLUG/talk] Help with locating good software

Eric Landerville eric at landerville.com
Mon Oct 6 15:53:42 PDT 2008

Hello,
I'm trying to find some good help desk / trouble ticket software.  My
team has increased from 2 people to 8 and it's no longer feasible to
just shout "hey I'm going to take care of ..."  We need something
centralized and web based.  What I am looking for is something that does
at least the following:
Web based
Trouble ticket tracking system.
Either a front page with the ticket submission or the ability for the
customer to enter in name/location/contact info on each ticket (they
move about quite often).  What I'm trying to say is that I don't want a
single set of contact info and that is all we have to go on to get a
hold of whom ever entered the ticket.
A searchable knowledge base of ticket problems/solutions (it would be
nice if the program asked if you want to submit the solution into the
database, we really don't need "trained customer" 100 times).
A project management portion.  Nothing so grand as something like M$
Project, just a different ticket type that can be open ended and allow
for constant updates.

A real bonus would be something that can integrate with (or has
embedded) a inventory software that can work with existing bar code
labels.  But this isn't really necessary.

As I took all of Mark Street's Linux classes I have no fear of the
command line to configure.  It would also be great if the software was
free, but we do have a small budget for this.

Any help someone can give would be greatly appreciated,

Eric