[NBLUG/talk] simple cron question

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 16:42:45 PDT 2008

I've read a few blogs, MAN pages and even the Debian Admin Wiki guide,
but I can't find a solid answer on this.

I need to run a task in cron every 2 or 3 days, so on the day portion
can I just use */3 or should I go with 0,3,6 as an approximation? It
looks like cron in Debian is Vixie Cron according to the man pages,
but dpkg just shows "cron". As such I don't know if the */3
designation is supported on the days section.

I'm trying to avoid a custom script modifying the cron behavior at this time.

Thanks!