[NBLUG/talk] blind drop ftp server

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:14:50 PDT 2008

I inherited a server that was running a "blind drop" vsftpd ftp
server. The server functioned in a way that allowed people using a
certain login to upload files, but they were unable to see any files
in the directory (including the one they just uploaded). For some
reason the files are all now visible, and I'm unable to figure out how
this was set up. It's running Fedora.

Do any of you have any ideas as to how to set up a "blind drop" ftp
server in this way? The only changes I could see (by looking at
.bash_history) were adding the read and write atribute to some files
for the file's group (in this case g+r and g+w), but the owner/login
name is not part of the group. The directory all these files reside in
has not been modified (drwxrws---). So far as I can see the file
permissions changes should not have caused this.

Does anyone have any ideas? My research has come up with very little,
none of which has helped so far.

Thank you!