[NBLUG/talk] Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0, 0)

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Tue Jan 27 13:25:12 PST 2009

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 12:29, Kyle Rankin wrote:

> It really sounds like the DSL disk install did interfere with the grub
> install on your hard drive. If your SD card is still inserted, remove it,
> boot off a rescue disk, chroot into your root partition and run a
> grub-install to reload everything.

Kyle,

Thank you so much for the prompt reply.

I should have said that I booted with the original install disc in rescue mode
and have done the grub-install two or three times to no avail.

What do you think of this:

The hard disk installation of Etch has two partitions: hda1 for / and
everything else, and hda2 for my home directory.

I've successfully backed up the / directory to the USB stick.

Do you think a clean re-install of the / partition (hda1) and then overwriting
with a restore from the backup would fix this? I'm wondering if the issue is
related to the MBR rather than the actual data sections of the disc? It does
seem that the boot progressed quite far before panic for it to be the MBR.

Even if I had to reinstall all my apps to a clean install, I would have the
hidden directories and settings in my home directory to guide me in what I
need.

Or does the restore from backup sound like a waste of time?

Thanks again,

Robert