[NBLUG/talk] Drive not detected after moving to a new case

Andrew argonaut at gmx.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 20:57:05 PDT 2009

Lincoln Peters wrote on Sun, 19 Jul 2009 19:17:02 -0700:

> Now, I'm starting to worry that I might have
> accidentally wrecked the drive while trying to remove that
> screw.

Since you didn't mention whacking the drive or dropping it while
attempting to extract it, I'm assuming you did not do so. I'm
sure you know how bad that could be.

My guess would be a problem with the electronics. You may have
nicked a trace on the printed circuit board or knocked a tiny
resistor off the board. Or you may have just given it a zap with
static electricity.

The easiest thing to try would be to plug it in to several
different computers. If they all refuse to recognize it, the
electronics may be bad. If you really need to resurrect the
drive, you could try to find an identical drive (including
firmware revision) and swap the controller boards.

Oh, you did check that none of the pins were bent, right? And
did you try different power cables? Can you hear it spin up?

A.