[NBLUG/talk] OT: Sources for Salary Data

Mervin Buenaflor mervin_buenaflor at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 14 10:48:35 PST 2009

Try kforce.salary.com

On Nov 14, 2009, at 7:54 AM, Dave Sisley <dsisley at sonic.net> wrote:

Dave Sisley wrote:
Hey -

I need to do some research on salaries for different sorts of IT skill
sets, & I'm wondering if anyone out there has a favorite source for that
sort of data?  It might save me some time.

Mostly I want to answer questions like: "If we were to hire somebody to
do X, how much should we expect to pay them?" and "Hey, while I'm
looking, how does my salary stack up?"

I'll try to post links if I can find some interesting and useful sites.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

-dave.

I'm following up on my original post with the little bit that I found
with regard to salaries.  The only worthwhile data comes from the
California Employment Development Department (EDD).

I found a neat little database where you can put in some parameters and
get data for particular job classes for specific counties.  Here are 3
samples (Sonoma County):

Network and Computer Systems Administrators
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occExplorerQSDetails.asp?searchCriteria=system+administrator&careerID=&menuChoice=occexplorer&geogArea=0604000097&soccode=151071&search=Explore+Occupation>
Computer Programmers
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occExplorerQSDetails.asp?searchCriteria=programmer&careerID=&menuChoice=occexplorer&geogArea=0604000097&soccode=151021&search=Explore+Occupation>
Computer and Information Systems Managers
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occExplorerQSDetails.asp?searchCriteria=Information+Technology+Director&careerID=&menuChoice=occexplorer&geogArea=0604000097&soccode=113021&search=Explore+Occupation>

And Here
<http://www.labormarketinfo.edd.ca.gov/cgi/databrowsing/occexplorerqsselection.asp?menuchoice=occexplorer>
is a link to the page where you can punch in whatever your parameters.

I'd still be curious if anyone else had any tips for information of this
type.  I will post this on the SoCoSA site as well.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net