[NBLUG/talk] #se7en -- http://windows7sins.org/

steve smith sjs at sonic.net
Wed Sep 2 23:41:01 PDT 2009

Steve Johnson wrote:
> Then you have those people who have actually switched away from linux
> after years of use..  Interesting, I guess that would be like a Muslim
> becoming a christian or atheist ;)
>
> -Steve

'Fraid I'm one of those.  I got pissed off about a year ago when ubuntu
updated python and a bunch of applications quit working.  Of course none
of those applications had been updated to use the new version of python.
  I had a dual boot system and the same apps on windows kept on working
because they were packaged with their own copies of the libraries
instead of depending on the system copy of the updated library.  I just
started using XP and haven't looked back.

I was on Linux since the first time red-hat ran on my old, long since
retired dell latitude. RH 3.2??

Mostly I do use open source applications though -- firefox, thunderbird,
gimp, inkscape, audicity, cygwin, atunes, open office, etc...

And I don't have to roll my own dvd player and the one on this system
handles the japanese menuing and subtitles with no problems.

Steve S.