[NBLUG/talk] #se7en -- http://windows7sins.org/

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Thu Sep 3 12:29:36 PDT 2009

What is the possibility (and what would actually be involved) in
changing those govt. requirements? I mean jeez, this is the govt. we're
talking about, can't they hire competent Linux folk to take care of
things and support it? Those laws were most likely created when there
*was* no open source - if you have the right team, they can fix any
problem - and would probably save a few tons of cash in the process.
Reform is a good thing, especially these days. Not easy, but it just
takes a squeak to get the grease.

Ed Rogers wrote:
> I'm a programmer for the state of California; the work is mostly .NET
> development and fixing ibm mainframe bushfires in 20 year old code with
> crude tools. I'm always looking for a way to get somebody interested in
> Linux, and the topic came up again last weekend because there was a big
> auction of old computers and other state equipment.
> I'm working on a procurement application, so I was sitting with the gals
> that do the ordering and I asked about why we don't score some monitors
> from the sale, because we need some, and how should I enter that kind of
> transaction.
> The answer was, "Oh we can't touch ANY of that equiptment with a 10 foot
> pole. The service contract is expired and who would we pay if it broke?
> There has to be someone responsible that guarantees what we buy. And we
> have to buy it. It can't be free..."
> It's the same argument the accounting/purchasing types always give me
> about Linux (not just these people, other people in other state places
> too). They don't use things that are free. They have to pay someone who is
> therefore endebted to them to fix it or take the fall and be sued.
>

>>> That made me smile. Here are two reasons why you are wrong.
>>>
>>> 1. Since someone else pays, Windows/OSX and software are essentially
>>> free to schools. So why switch to something that requires time to
>>> master? They already know how to use Photoshop and Word.
>>>

>> Meh.
>>
>> 1. I wouldn't care if Microsoft Windows was free to *everyone*, I'd
>> still use Linux because I believe it is technically superior for the
>> needs I have in a computing environment (at work *and* home). That's
>> like saying "Well, this nice shiny SUV is free, though it gets 8MPG and
>>  will roll if you turn too fast...Or, you can have this free hybrid,
>> which gets 80MPG and is built from the ground up by people who care
>> about the environment"...
>>
>> 2. Requires time to master? So every time MS comes out with a new
>> release of Windows/Office/etc. that requires no re-mastering? How about
>>  the certifications you have to re-take? How about all of the software
>> that has to be re-written?
>>

>>> 2. Substitute "Christianity" for "Windows" and "Islam" for "Linux" and
>>> think how your communication plan would play out. You can just as
>>> easily get someone to switch to Linux as you can get them to become a
>>> Muslim. I know that's not a great analogy and not perfectly true, but
>>> you probably see there is something to it.
>>>

>> Yikes. I don't think choice of operating system and your choice of
>> world  religion really need to be mentioned in the same sentence, do
>> you?  That's a pretty bad analogy. I like my SUV/hybrid analogy. Nobody
>> (well,  very FEW) are really THAT passionate about their OS. Were any
>> wars  started because people wanted to use a Mac instead of Windows?
>>

>>> People switch to Linux as an individual decision. Change comes from
>>> within. It's a slow process and what flips that switch is different
> [...]

Jordan Erickson
Owner, Logical Networking Solutions
http://www.logicalnetworking.net
707-636-5678

* Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail *

Latest LNS Blogs - http://blog.logicalnetworking.net

	The wrong focus of technology in education
	Why aren't computers more like telephones?
	OpenVPN and Gnome Network Manager