[NBLUG/talk] FTPing large files

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 22:43:10 PST 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM, steve smith <sjs at sonic.net> wrote:
> From the FTP entry on wikipedia there used to be a 4Gb (1998) but now file
> size is probably unlimited.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivial_File_Transfer_Protocol:
> "The original protocol has a file size limit of 32 MB, although this was
> extended when RFC 2347 introduced option negotiation, which was used in RFC
> 2348 to introduce block-size negotiation in 1998 (allowing a maximum of 4 GB
> and potentially higher). If the server and client support block number
> wraparound, file size is essentially unlimited."

Er...that's the wiki page for TFTP, not FTP.  The wiki page for FTP is at:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol>

Looking at that page, I don't see anything about presence or lack of
file size limits, so I'm not sure what might have been going on, or if
it would have been related at all to the subject at hand.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>