[NBLUG/talk] FAT32 multiple file copy order

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Mon Jan 11 21:53:06 PST 2010

My Pioneer car stereo has USB input for thumb drives with mp3 files in
FAT32 format. It does read ID3 tags, but unfortunately does not use that
information nor the filename to decide what order to play the files. It
plays them in the order they are copied to the directory they are in.

Therefore I need to be able to force the copying process to be in
filename order, since I have the track number at the beginning of each
filename.

I know that when I copy them in Windows. it copies them in filename
order if I click the last file, hold the shif key, then click the first
filename, then drag the files over. That gets kind of old since I can't
just grab a whole lot of folders, or even one folder at a time, I have
to create a folder, then copy to it.

In Linux if I use Konqueror, I am not sure what order it copies them. It
seems really random.

Any suggestions? Go back to an iPod?

Thanks,

Bob