[NBLUG/talk] FAT32 multiple file copy order

Aaron Grattafiori aaron at digitalinfinity.net
Mon Jan 11 22:05:18 PST 2010

"it plays them in the order they are copied to the directory they are in".
1) That is crappy.
2) That is an interesting problem to solve.

I suggest you do a test. I'm guessing it looks at the timestamps of the
files in order
to determine what was copied onto the drive first ? You could use Linux and
a little
scripting to just 'touch' the files to dates that are arranged how you want
to listen to the music. *I think*

If it isn't using the filenames, not sure how else besides for the ctime (or
maybe mtime?) of the file
it knows how they were copied to the disk.

I'd put 4 songs in a folder and try changing the dates of the files around
with touch, then see if the
order it plays them in changes... I think that should trick it into thinking
you copied the files earlier/later/whatever.
I don't know if you can change the creation time of  the files with touch..
or if you'll need to do that or not.

For any unacquainted with the touch command: http://www.linfo.org/touch.html

Good luck, See ya tomorrow!

-Aaron