[NBLUG/talk] FAT32 multiple file copy order

Bruce Schadel schadel at sonic.net
Tue Jan 12 13:11:58 PST 2010

Sounds like the player just works its way through the FAT. Frankly, I'm
not enough of an expert to even be lurking on this list, but here's what
I'd do:

Try working from a bash command line. cd to the directory you want to
copy from and execute the command "ls -1" (without the quotes). Note
that the option switch is "minus ONE", not "minus ell". Confirm that
this produces a list of filenames (and nothing else) in alphanumeric
order with one name per line. Now embed that command in a larger one
like so: "cp $(ls -1) dest_dir" (again, no quotes and replace dest_dir
with the appropriate identifer of the flash drive directory). cp should
then copy the files in the order they are listed by the ls command.

Good luck,
--Bruce--