[NBLUG/talk] FAT32 multiple file copy order

Matthew Brooks matthew at sonomatechpartners.com
Wed Jan 13 00:51:00 PST 2010

This is a common issue in the way that many heads from a couple of
manufacturers implement reading fat32 off USB. Pioneer and Sony are the main
ones I've heard grumblings about.

The likely reason why they don't do proper name based sorting is either
because they are (a) lazy (b) cutting corners because they want to maximize
profit or (c) they are avoiding stepping on a patent that might be out there
having to do with fat32 long file naming

I'm leaning towards C, for as I recall Fat32 and long filenames were what
Microsoft beat Tom-Tom with a stick over recently.

Sadly, the only way to have them play in order is to write the files in
order to the USB drive in the first place. "cp $(ls -1) dest" seems a little
too coarse for my taste because it doesn't play well if you have other files
besides mp3s in the directory, I much prefer:

for i in *.mp3; do cp $i /path/to/disk/; sync; done

As to the order that the dragged folder played in, I suspect that they may
have played in an order that is related to the file size of the songs, but I
could be wrong.

Matthew