[NBLUG/talk] 32 vs 64 bit netbook

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Fri Jan 15 14:33:01 PST 2010

I'm about to purchase my first netbook. I'll be running some variant of
Debian.

The feature set boils down to two models by the same manufacturer.
I'm able to comfortably asses the value to me of most of the features except
for one. I'll use the box mostly for the things netbooks were designed for:
web browsing, email, some writing, and a portable frontend for my SD Myth
box. No gaming, or HD videos.

One machine is an Atom N280 single core 32 bit, the other an Atom N450 single
core 64 bit.

Both are limited to a max of 2 GB of RAM.

Almost all the  benchmark tests in the media reviews show that the two chips
perform comparably, a very slight improvement in speed with the N450, but the
one noticeable improvement is in battery life (~10 hours for the N280, ~14
hours for the N450. Insert grain of salt here).

However, the media reviews are conspicuously lacking any information regarding
use with linux, and specifically 64 bit software.

I've not had any experience with 64 bit OSes and wonder if the ability to run
64 bit software is going to make that much difference on
1) a machine that only has 2GB and
2) is a single core Atom

Will 64 bit capability greatly extend the usable lifetime of this machine? I
keep and use computers for years.

The two machines, by the way are the Asus Eee 1005HA-P and 1005PE-P.

I'd be grateful for any opinions, input, or suggestions anyone may have.

If this is too far off topic please let me know.

Thanks.

Robert Hayes