[NBLUG/talk] 32 vs 64 bit netbook

Scrappy Laptop scrappylaptop at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 15 15:34:20 PST 2010

Not to mention that 64-bit codecs may or may not be as readily available.  However, similar to the Flash/wine/java-vm 64-bit problems these things tend to get sorted out over time.

Clock speed and FSB are the same.  However, memory usage tends to be greater per application/process in a 64-bit world (hw + OS + hw drivers + applications).

The N450's TDP is twice that of the N280, but I'm guessing that's because the GMA graphics chip is integrated (as is the MMU) so for the entire chipset it appears they've reduced total consumption by about 20% (ymmv).

If it were my choice and didn't mind the $100 difference and given that less than 4GB ram is available, *and* if I was planning on using it for five years, I'd get the N450 and load it with a 32-bit OS (for now).  You'll have the same memory available as you would on the N280 and yet reap almost all of the benefits of the newer chip such as reduced power and heat and better graphics.  Otherwise I agree with Lincoln that the N450 does not offer that much other than better battery life (and graphics, depending on the graphic chip on the N280 box).