[NBLUG/talk] SliTaz Linux

jezra lickter jezra at jezra.net
Tue Jan 26 20:08:51 PST 2010

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:20:48 -0800
William Tracy <afishionado at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone here seen this?
> http://www.slitaz.org/en/
>
> It's a mini distro that fits a bootable image into less than 30
> megabytes.
>
> I know there's some Damn Small Linux users on this list, and I thought
> this might be interesting to that crowd. Unlike DSL, SliTaz includes a
> 2.6-series kernel in that tiny image.
>
> Overall, SliTaz looks a lot more active/up to date/polished than DSL
> (going by their website, anyway). I'm planning to build a bootable
> thumbdrive this week and give it a spin.

Aside from running the image in VirtualBox the only real world
experience I've had with Slitaz is as a base for a security-centric
livecd; the name of which I have forgotten.

If you are looking for a small desktop system, and you enjoy pain, you
may want to try tinycore (http://www.tinycorelinux.com/) which comes in
at a whopping 10M.

jezra