[NBLUG/talk] Sharing sound hardware on Kubuntu?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Jul 5 12:40:13 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 05, 2010 at 12:12:04PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> It seems that when my parents are logged in simultaneously, only the
> first user to log in is able to use the sound card.  Looking at the
> sound preferences, it looks like the second user is most likely using
> a secondary audio output that doesn't have any speakers hooked up to
> it, since the primary output is locked by the first user.
>
> Does that sound like how it's supposed to work?  And if so, does
> anyone know how to allow two users to share a sound card?
>
> They're running Kubuntu, and their system was fully up-to-date as of
> maybe a month ago.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> Lincoln Peters
> <anfrind at gmail.com>

Hmm, an up-to-date release of Kubuntu should be using pulse audio, and
pulse audio should make it relatively easy to multiplex your audio from
many different sources. Perhaps the applications they are using are trying
to grab audio devices directly (like /dev/dsp) and aren't pulse audio
enabled?

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President