[NBLUG/talk] Xubuntu 10.04 monitor resolution fail

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Sat Jul 10 19:06:13 PDT 2010

I have an older machine with i810 video hooked to a 1024x768 flat panel
running xubuntu 10.04 just for testing some web server apps.

Unfortunately it doesn't detect the monitor so I am stuck at 800x600
resolution.

Surfing the internet for solutions, I see that many things are working
against me:

1: xorg.conf seems to be obsolete
2: I don't know how to pass kernel parameters to GRUB2

I could go on, but I just want to find a workaround.

Can anyone suggest a writeup that covers this problem for someone who
isn't familiar with "xrandr" "cvt" and grub2, and doesn't care to learn
right now? I just want to cut and paste and move on.

Many thanks,

Bob

  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html