[NBLUG/talk] Xubuntu 10.04 monitor resolution fail

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Sun Jul 11 12:45:04 PDT 2010

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 22:55:37 -0700, "Andrew" said:
> Bob Blick wrote on Sat, 10 Jul 2010 19:06:13 -0700:
>
> > Unfortunately it doesn't detect the monitor so I am stuck at
> > 800x600 resolution.
>
> 800x600? Aww. Quit yer cryin'.
>
> ;-)
>
> I have a monitor whose EDID reports 640x350.

That is pretty sick. Not a lot of desktop available.

> up. The monitor is really capable of 1024x768. You can check your
> monitor's EDID info with the read-edid tools.

This monitor (a Samsung 570V TFT) has never displayed the correct
resolution automatically. But I think I will not attempt to reflash it
this time, although I am glad to see it is sometimes possible.

I made a simple xorg.conf file and it worked right off the bat. Yeah!

Thanks for yours and Frank's input.

Cheerful regards,

Bob