[NBLUG/talk] ++Nova, --Eucalyptus -- Eucalyptus considered harmful.

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Tue Jul 20 16:56:50 PDT 2010

On 07/20/2010 02:34 PM, Troy Arnold wrote:

>> Eucalyptus isn't open source.
>>
> I only skimmed the  article, but it reminded me that I do have high hopes
> for the OpenStack stuff that NASA is now building on.
>
> http://www.openstack.org/
>
> There's a webinar a 9am PDT tomorrow:
> http://www.rackspace.com/information/mediacenter/announcements/openstack.php

I'm afraid I had harsh words for Rackspace this morning, when I
discovered that they were tweeting things like "we've made the cloud
open", only to read in the fine print "coming late 2010".

(I think this is an example of a company's PR people not talking with
their engineers...)

They also made it sound like it was their idea.  The article I posted
led me to believe it was NASA.

Ya know I loves ya, Troy...but someone at RS needs to stop pretending to
support FOSS -- amid much fanfare, with asterisks and caveats -- and
just do it.

  -Scott