[NBLUG/talk] Virtual System..

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Wed Jul 21 11:54:10 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:35:43AM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
> Hey nblugger's :),
>
> I was thinking about dedicating one of my spare boxes as a virtual server,
> in that I mean I want it to run a very lightweight OS (linux I hope) and
> then all it does is manage a bunch of virtual servers.. .Is there a linux
> distro setup to do this?  I would need to be able to run pretty much any os
> as a virtual box.. Anyone ever done this?

You don't need a specialized distro.  Virtualization is pretty much all
about the kernel these days.  Like any lightweight Linux box, just don't
install services you don't need.

For dead simple:
Install your OS of choice
aptitude|yum install virtualbox-ose
pointy clicky your way to new vm's (guests)

For free(er) speech and the future of hotness, look into kvm and libvirt.

If you have specific/interactive questions, there are still a few of us
idling away on #nblug.

p.s. Welcome to the party :)

-t