[NBLUG/talk] [Mostly OT] Event: "Atari Party" in Davis this Sunday (March 14th)

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Mar 12 18:11:01 PST 2010

I realize this is mostly off-topic, but I'm casting a wide net here
so please bear with me (and do feel free to pass this along to other
interested parties).

I'm hosting my 2nd annual "Atari Party" out here in Davis, this Sunday,
March 14th from 12pm-8pm.  We'll have ~40 game systems and computers
spanning the mid-1970s to today, along with ~500 games.

  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/atariparty/

ObLinux: One of the systems coming is my "GP2X" Linux-based handheld
game system, which I've got loaded with "Atari800", an open source
Atari 8-bit computer emulator.  We've also received a pair of $50
vouchers good at TuxGames.com (who sell a few dozen commercial
game titles for PCs running Linux).

Along with those vouchers, we've got three $100 gift certificates
for ThinkGeek.com, three classic-Atari-style USB joysticks
(which work on Linux, Windows and Mac), and a set of game-related
books from O'Reilly Media.  You'll also have a chance to win
one of three original Atari 8-bit computer systems.

And not only are there games and give-away prizes, but we'll also
be screening two films: "Once Upon Atari", a documentary full of
interviews with programmers who worked at Atari in the early 1980s,
and Disney's classic "Tron".

-bill!
(who got into computers, and hence Linux, thanks to Atari video
games and computers when he was growing up)